Did you have to curtail your business operations due to COVID-19, in response to Alberta Public Health orders? If so, your business may be eligible for Alberta’s Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant. Don’t delay, applications must be received by March 31, 2021.
You could be eligible for up to $20,000 grant available to small and medium sized businesses (i.e.: under 500 employees), if your monthly revenue was $33,333 or more prior to COVID-19.
If your revenue was as low as $45, you can still apply. The minimum benefit awarded is $20.
Read on for the essentials, and if this sounds like you, follow the links below to the official Government of Alberta page.
To be clear... I have nothing to do with the government or this application process; I simply want to share my understanding so others may benefit. My goal is for "Main Street" to still have businesses on it when all of this is behind us. ♥ Please share with those who need this info.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You must have been in business by October 31, 2020, and are eligible for additional funds if you were in business prior to March 1, 2020.
- Your business revenue must have decreased by at least 30% due to the pandemic restrictions which required your business to curtail operations.
- Unregistered sole proprietors are also eligible to apply.
- Maximum benefit is $20,000 for eligible businesses.
- You may have received additional funds through various federal and provincial sources and still be eligible.
- If you have already received funds through insurance, you are NOT eligible to apply.
- If your business has multiple physical locations, you may apply for grant funding for each location.
- Grant funding will be provided for 15 per cent of the organization’s selected month revenue prior to the November 2020 curtailment. Organizations can select any month between March 2020 and October 2020 and provide their revenue for that month.
- The value of the grant is 3x (15% of chosen month revenue) up to a maximum of $15,000.
- An additional payment is possible for established businesses, up to $5,000.
- The minimum grant amount is $20.
Information you will need in order to apply for the grant:
1. A source of Pre-COVID-19 revenue
This can any of:
- February 2020 monthly revenue
- April 2019 monthly revenue
- May 2019 monthly revenue
- Average monthly revenue of operational months in 2019, for seasonal businesses
* For business established between March 1 – October 31, 2020, any month’s revenue in this period.
TIP: any month with revenue of at least $33,333 will provide the maximum benefit amount, provided COVID-impacted revenue was reduced by at least 30% - see below.
2. A source of COVID-impacted revenue
This can be either of:
- April 2020 monthly revenue
- May 2020 monthly revenue
* For business established between March 1 – October 31, 2020, either November or December 2020 monthly revenue.
Ensure that the month chosen had revenue at least 30% less than the pre-COVID month selected above.
3. Additional Info to Gather Before Applying
- My Alberta Digital ID (MADI) user account
- Legal Business Name
- Corporate Access Number
- Business Address
- Banking Information
Where to Apply for the Grant
If you plan to apply, read more on the Government of Alberta Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant page. There you will find a detailed Application Companion Guide as well as Program Guidelines.
As I said above, I have nothing to do with this program, and simply want to help raise awareness that resources are available.
If you'd like to discuss, please reach out, and please be sure to share this information with other business owners.
Applications must be received by March 31, 2021, so there is very limited time!
Photo Credit: Banff & Lake Louise Tourism / Paul Zizka